The benefits of coconut oil seem unending. Just Google uses of coconut oil and you’ll get over 4,000,000 hits. You get titles like 101 Uses of Coconut Oil, 107 Everyday Uses of Coconut Oil or if you want to read a list that is not so overwhelming, 50 Ways to Use Coconut Oil. At that point you may be too overwhelmed to start using coconut oil. So if you are new to the wonders of coconut oil let me share with you my very manageable list of ways I use coconut oil.
The 5 ways I use coconut oil
- Cooking! I mainly use two fats for cooking, bacon grease and coconut oil. I use coconut oil because it has a high heat point so it is highly resistant to oxidation. Coconut oil is a medium chain fat so it’s easier on my body to digest and has been shown to help with weight loss. I just like the flavor of coconut oil! I’m known to lick my fingers when they have coconut oil on them. I use coconut oil in place of butter in my mashed cauliflower or I put it in my soup to give it a more stratifying feel. And lastly I put it in my coffee with a little cinnamon, blend it up and it’s like having a dairy free latte.
- Lotion! I came across Wellness Mama’s lotion recipe about a year ago and one of the main ingredient is coconut oil. I love how it how it feels and how it smells. I use it every day after my shower. My skin has never felt and looked so healthy. It is helping keep my eczema at bay and when I do have a flair up if feels so soothing on my skin.I keep a little at my desk at work because my workplace is so dry and my hair gets so staticy. I rub a small amount of lotion on my hands and smooth it on my hair–no static! I use just a little bit.
- Teeth! I use coconut oil to make my tooth paste. I’m not sure where I found the recipe and after making it once I just estimated the amounts the next time I made it. I take about half and half coconut oil and baking soda, throw a little sea salt,because I read that helps remineralize your teeth, and some peppermint essential oil and that’s it. My teeth are whiter and you don’t get that “I can’t eat anything because I just brushed my teeth” feel.
- Mouth! The other way I use coconut oil is I oil pull. Oil pulling is where you take about a teaspoon of coconut oil and swish it in your mouth for about 15-20 minutes. It takes a little getting use to it but it helps freshen breath, whiten teeth and my experience has been the reversal of the formation of a cavity. My dentist is very impressed at how healthy my month is.
- Pets! I also brush my pets teeth with coconut oil, and over half of them love it! I pull out the toothbrushes and one cat and both my dogs come running. Of course that cat thinks she’s a dog. My other two cats don’t mind it but they would prefer I didn’t brush their teeth at all. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties that help keep their mouth healthy.
Well there you go 5 easy ways to start using coconut oil.